Friday, November 30, 2012

15 Minute Meals: Mexican Tomato Soup

Tonight I didn't feel much like cooking, but I wanted something warm and comforting for dinner.  And given that I had (half a) rare bag of chips kicking around, this was perfect!

308.  Mexican Tomato Soup, Chili Nachos, Veggie & Feta Sprinkles (Jamie's 15 Minute Meals, page 204)

YouTube.com video

This is about the easiest recipe for tomato soup I've ever seen.  Just the perfect thing when you need a quick meal and don't have much on hand.  Jamie does have a lot of bits & pieces to serve it with, but those are just extras.  The basic soup needs only onions, cilantro, garlic, canned tomatoes, jarred red peppers & basmati rice.  I had all of those things!

So I put some olive oil into a large pot, and added some finely diced onions, the cilantro stalks, some minced garlic, and the tomatoes and peppers.  I added some boiling water & salt, covered it with a lid, and went on to assemble my chips.  Now, I didn't have tortilla chips....I had baked Lay's potato chips.  But I figured they'd suffice.  I grated some marble cheese over the top, and finely chopped a red chile over them as well.  Then I popped them into the toaster oven, while I took the stick blender to the soup and spiked it with a little lemon juice.

Here is where I started to skip things.  I didn't have much in the way of "sprinkles".  No avacado, no feta, no cherry tomatoes, no pickled jalapenos, no mint.  Such is life.  I topped my chips with the cilantro leaves, and added plain yogurt to the soup to give it a bit of creaminess.



I was pleased with how quickly this came together, and how tasty it was!  The soup was quite filling, and I had quite a bit of it left over.  My son wolfed down a bowl and declared it yummy.  This is a great little go-to recipe when you need to whip something up in a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment