Saturday, December 1, 2012

15 Minute Meals: Sizzling Chops and Asparagus Lasagnetti

I went into this one planning to get every ingredient I needed.  In fact, I even made a list and took it with me to the farmer's market this morning.  However, when I saw that the lamb chops I wanted were $21.99/lb, I decided I could do without them.  Instead, I would use more of the pork tenderloin I got on sale last week @ $5.99/lb.  Sometimes, you have to cook on a budget!  I did, however, splurge a bit on some nice, handmade fresh pasta sheets....an herby one and a butternut squash one.  They apparently freeze well.

309.  Sizzling Chops and Asparagus Lasagnetti (Jamie's 15 Minute Meals, page 106)

YouTube.com recipe

Unfortunately, this recipe has already disappeared from Jamie's web site, so I had to take notes while watching the episode for the third time.  Thankfully, it's a pretty easy one.  I didn't measure anything.

I cut my tenderloin into eighths again, flattened it a bit, seasoned it with salt and put it in a hot frying pan with a bit of olive oil. Then, I got to work chopping up the green onions, asparagus, tomatoes and mint.  These I put into a second, larger casserole-style pan with a bit of olive oil.  I turned my "chops" over and added some rosemary sprigs from the garden, and a few cloves of unpeeled but squashed garlic.  I minced a few garlic cloves into the asparagus mixture for good measure, then remembered to plug in the kettle so I could boil it.  So much for being prepared.



The pork was looking pretty cooked already, so I added a couple of tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, and a tablespoon of honey to coat it.  I didn't leave it on the heat long, because I knew it would burn quickly.  Once the kettle finally boiled, I added some fresh pasta sheets, cut into strips, into the veggie mixture, and covered it with some water.  As I mentioned, I didn't measure anything, just eyeballed it.  I didn't want to turn it into soup!  But I needed enough water to cook the pasta through.

Once I was satisfied that it was done, I removed it from the heat and topped it with a bit of freshly grated parmesan cheese.



This wasn't anything particularly new or exciting, except for throwing the fresh pasta into the sauce and not boiling it separately.  But it really filled the hole in my belly, and it was very quick and tasty.  Plus, I loved the combination of veggies and mint.  It really did taste like summer, and here we are in December!  ;)

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Rediscovered your blog the other day after some time of not reading it as much, and you gave me new inspiration! So yesterday I made Incredible baked cauliflower and broccoli cannelloni from the Jamie at home cookbook and today I'm making Humble home cooked beans! I've bought the 15 minutes book too, only tried one recipe yet tho, and it took med 40 minutes haha ;)
    If you like you can check out my cannelloni-post, cause I actuallly wrote it in english in case you, or Jamie (just kidding hehe), would like to read it :)
    I think your devotion to cooking is amazing, and I feel sorry for your picky kids missing out ;) Will probably be checking in here more regularly now :)
    Take care! /Emma from Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you, I've missed reading your blog! :) Yes, I have great expectations that the beans will be good! Will be serving them on toast with panfried egg and some bacon. Yum!

    ReplyDelete