Friday, February 15, 2013

15 Minute Meals: Crackin' Crab Briks

Maybe I'm just too frugal to make meals in 15 minutes.  I mean, I'm not paying $10 for a jar of preserved lemons or $3 for a little bag of pre-cooked brown rice.  And there is no way I can just spank a pomegranate to get a few seeds out and then throw the rest away.  I have to meticulously tear the thing apart and gather every single seed, without wasting any.  I tend to wash and carefully pick through my herbs, rather than just rip the top off and use it. 

This recipe has been in the works all week.  One night, I stopped at three grocery stores on my way home from work, looking for fennel.  By the second store I was getting pretty frustrated, but success at the third!  Since when do people go crazy for fennel?  Most of the people I know don't even know what it is!  I finally got around to using it tonight.

323.  Crackin' Crab Briks, Couscous Salad & Salsa (Jamie's 15 Minute Meals, page 122)

JamieOliver.com recipe

I started this recipe a day early, because I decided to make a cheat's version of preserved lemons.  So I cut a lemon into 6 wedges, put it in a pot rind side down with about 1/4 cup of salt and 1/2 a cup of water and let it simmer for half an hour.  Then I rinsed the salt away, covered it with lemon juice, and refrigerated it overnight.

First up tonight, the crab briks.  They consist of crab meat (I used canned), the chopped, preserved lemon, some chopped cilantro, green onion and a teaspoon of harissa.  I did my best to shape them like a deck of cards and wrap them up in filo pastry.  Then I put them in a pan with a bit of olive oil and let them brown.  OK, maybe I let them brown a little too much, while I got started on my salad.

I grated a head of fennel and combined it with some chopped mint.  Instead of caraway seeds, I used fennel seeds, and then dressed it with lemon juice, olive oil and salt & pepper.  I flipped the crab briks over and then made my couscous with a little tomato paste and boiling water.  Lastly, I complained throughout the making of the salsa, because grating a tomato just seemed silly to me.  I added some grated ginger, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and assembled my plate, adding a few dollops of Greek yogurt to the side.



Wow, this meal was lemon-licious.  It was not overwhelming at all, just very flavourful.  I really enjoyed the crab briks, and lo and behold I loved the salsa for dipping, along with the yogurt.  The salad was nice with the couscous and the pop of the pomegranate seeds.  All in all a very nice dinner, but I tell you, it seemed to take long time to make.  It was probably just me more than the recipe.  I was tired and not in the best mood to cook.  I'd definitely make the different parts of it again, just maybe not all at the same time.  ;)
 
This post has been linked to the Wednesday Fresh Foods Link Up at Gastronomical Sovereingty!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I want to make this for my mom, it's sounds like a good decision after reading this.

    ReplyDelete