Wednesday, August 28, 2013

15 Minute Meals: Rosemary Chicken, Grilled Polenta and Porcini Tomato Sauce

Well, I made it to the four year anniversary of this blog. Who would have thunk it?  Not me.  Doesn't even feel like four years.  Four months maybe.  And this is apparently my 417th post, which seems slightly lucky, as 17 is always a lucky number for me.  Anyways.......I went in search of a chicken breast recipe yesterday, because I had some I needed to use up.  I found a recipe that called for a lot of the veggies growing in my garden, and also a new ingredient (to me) - polenta - which I bought a while back but was just sitting in the fridge.  I also came across some lovely oyster mushrooms at the farmer's market at lunch, which I picked up for authenticity!

358.  Rosemary Chicken, Grilled Polenta and Porcini Tomato Sauce (Jamie's 15 Minute Meals, page 40)

YouTube video

In preparation for this meal, I had a number of things to do that drastically increased the time it took.  First, go pick the veg.  Second, debone the chicken breasts.  Third, clean the freaking kitchen up so there were plenty of pans and space to move about.  That took me about an hour.  The actual cooking was fairly quick, although I decided to make a pot of boiled potatoes for the kid at the same time, so I kind of ran out of burners.  I steamed some big, fat, home-grown green beans over the potatoes, in place of the out-of-season-around-here asparagus, and left the polenta to be grilled after everything else was done.  Problem solved.

First up, combine all the ingredients for the tomato sauce in the blender.  Jamie suggests using fresh tomatoes with the green leaves still attached, for extra tomatoey flavour, so I did that.  I also added fresh basil, some dried porcini mushrooms, a swig of boiling water, one small fresh red chile from the garden, and some garlic.  This was pureed and put in a pan to blip away, thickening up as it went.  The smell was amazing!

Next up the chicken, which is coated with fresh rosemary leaves and fennel seeds, seasoned with salt & pepper, and then lighly coated with grated parmesan, before being flattened with a rolling pin (as per usual).  I put this in a frying pan with a bit of oil, and then really had nothing to do for a while.  Once the chicken was ready to flip, I threw in a few slices of bacon and the oyster mushrooms.  As mentioned before, there was no room for another pan at this point, so once everything else was done, I got around to grilling the lightly oiled polenta.  Now, Jamie's polenta looks bright yellow and has nice char marks from the grill.  Mine was whitish and stuck like crazy, therefore no grill marks.  C'est la vie.  I also wilted down a bunch of chard leaves in the remaining chicken/bacon juices (in place of baby spinach). 


 
 
The chard, beans, mushrooms, polenta, chicken & bacon are layered on top of the seasoned tomato sauce.  Not so pretty, but my God, was it good.  I wasn't really expecting it to be, because it seemed a slightly odd combination of ingredients, but they really worked!  I couldn't get enough of the tomato/porcini sauce.  Seriously tasty.  And I was so impressed with how it cooked down from a watery looking mess to an almost chocolate brown colour (thanks to the combination of red & yellow tomatoes, no doubt).  Mmmm, is it dinner time yet?  I have left overs waiting.  :)
 
This post has been linked at the Wednesday Fresh Foods Link Up at Gastronomical Sovereingty!
 
~~~~~~~~~~
 
One year ago, I got a Liebster Award
Two years ago,  I made Jalapeno Flatbreads
Three years ago, I attended a Michael Smith cooking demo
And now I can say, four years ago I was making my first post  :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi there,, just letting you know that you are in my Featured Food Blog sidebar for September on Carole's Chatter. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of recipe is this?

    Where is your ingredient list?

    ReplyDelete