Thursday, January 2, 2014

Quintessentially British - Sour Cranberry Bakewell

I started off the New Year with left overs.  Yes, I still have cranberry compote, turkey & turkey gravy (frozen), turnips, seitan roast, carrots, lemons & clementines.  I am planning on stocking up with fresh stuff at the market and Sobey's on the weekend...but there are still a few days left to use things up.  Last night, I made a ground beef wellington using the carrots & the gravy.  Today's lunch is seitan with gravy & turnips.  But what to do with the cranberries?  I have thrown a tablespoon or so into a few smoothies, but at this rate, I'll have some left over for Easter!

There's not much on TV these days, so I got to watching an old episode of Jamie's Great Britain on Channel 4OD the other evening.  I discovered that it was filmed in Leicester!  That's the city in England that my daughter lived in last fall, and it has the most amazing fruit & vegetable market.  I was inspired to bake this tart.  I figured it would be a nice treat to have for New Year's Day.

394. Sour Cranberry Bakewell with Orange & Lemon Sherbet Drizzle Sauce (Jamie's Great Britain, page 174)

JamieOliver.com recipe

I suck at making pastry.  I usually just buy the pre-made pie shells, but I didn't have one on hand, so I followed Jamie's instructions to make this sweet pastry with orange zest.  It wasn't all that pretty, but it did the trick.  I find it quite time consuming though....first you make the pastry, then it rests in the fridge for 30 minutes.  Then you roll it out, then it rests in the fridge for 30 minutes.  Then you bake it blind, remove the parchment & the dried rice, & bake it again, all before you even put your pie fillings in.





I didn't have enough left over cranberry compote for the recipe, but I had about half a pound of frozen cranberries to work with, so I boiled them up with some orange zest & juice, and added sugar.  To this, I added my left over cranberries.


 
 
 
I also have a lot of left over butter in my fridge.  Butter is something I try to avoid the rest of the year, but you just can't avoid it at Christmas!  This recipe calls for 3/4 of a pound, some for the pastry but most for the frangipane mixture.  So in the food processor I combined sugar, butter, blanched hazelnuts, walnuts, whole almonds, along with about 6 egg whites.  It was supposed to be 3 whole eggs, but I didn't have any.  I need to use up these whites, left over from Christmas baking!
 




Finally, time to fill the pie.  My kitchen looked like a bomb had gone off, and I had more filling than I needed, so I overfilled the pie shell, reserving some of the cranberry compote for future smoothies.  I placed the pie on a baking sheet in case it boiled over, and put it in a 350F oven for about 45 minutes.




 
 
It was quite puffy and impressive when it came out!  I let it cool fully on a wire rack for a couple of hours until my daughter & her girlfriend arrived.  We watched the Leicester episode of Jamie's Great Britain yet again, before digging in.  It was kind of cool, because the last thing Jamie does is bake this tart and serve it to some cricketers for afternoon tea.  Neat to watch it, and then be able to eat it straight away!  I quickly mixed up the lemon sherbet to drizzle over the top.
 
 

 
 
 
I was impressed with the pie crust.  It was really good, although seriously, is it even necessary?  This is soooo rich and filling, even without it.  It isn't overly sweet, though.  I think we cut the pieces far too big, but I don't have a proper tart pan with a removable bottom like Jamie does.  If so, I could have cut it into tea-time-sized pieces.  But no, we were gluttonous.  I sent half of the remaining pie home with the girls so I wasn't forced to eat it all myself.  They both liked it, but remarked that this was obviously written prior to Jamie's nutritional epiphany.   ;) 
 
This post has been shared at the Wednesday Fresh Foods Link Up at She Eats!
 
Apparently, I'm always cooking or baking on New Years Day.  The store are closed and it's usually cold and snowy, not unlike this year.  I believe the windchill is about -28C today.
 
1 year ago:    San Fran Quinoa Salad
2 years ago:  Griddle Pan Waffles
3 years ago:  Depression Era Mystery Cake
4 years ago:  One-Cup Pancakes, Tropical Yogurt, and Mango & Pot-Roast Meatloaf
 

3 comments:

  1. Mmm that looks delicious! I'm from Leicester, its a fab market and a really lovely city. I didn't realise Jamie did an episode there will have to find it on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I'm hoping to visit one day soon. You can watch it as episode 4 of Jamie's Great Britain on the Channel 4 website.

      Delete
    2. Ooh thanks for letting me know!

      Delete