Friday, June 6, 2014

Sobey's Apple & Blackberry Crisp and a garden update

We had a lovely barbecque last night - chicken souvlaki skewers with tzatziki sauce, red & green pepper skewers, potatoes & garlic in foil, Caesar salad, and veggie burgers.  No pictures because we just wolfed it all down, but suffice to say the new charcoal BBQ worked like a charm.  I love that it doesn't have an off button.....I threw some sweet potatoes in foil on and let them continue to cook well after we ate, and took them off before we headed over to the baseball diamond to watch Ian play.  I am sure I'll find a use for them this weekend!  To top everything off, we had a sweet dessert.

Product review:
Jamie Oliver Discovers Canada:  Sweet & Tart Apple and Blackberry Crisp

Sobeys product page



Back of box:  “This crumble is absolutely delicious and perfect for this time of year. We’ve topped a load of sweet, juicy Canadian apples, blackberries and pomegranate juice with crunchy oats, kamut and quinoa. It’s light tasting and delicious with ice cream, making it the perfect pudding for summer. Dig in!”

To be honest, I bought this thinking it was the same variety as I'd bought before (which was totally amazing).  It wasn't until this morning that I realized it was new!  It was offered on sale with a bonus 250 Club Sobey's points, so I grabbed it.   It cooks for 50-55 minutes in the oven, until browned and bubbling.  The topping has quinoa and kamut in it, while the filling has pomegranate juice...all things I enjoy.  Everyone wolfed it down and Melanie declared it was the best apple crisp she had ever tasted.  Can't get much higher praise than that!

Ingredients: apples, blackberries, brown sugar, butter, sugar, enriched wheat flour, water, rolled oats, kamut flakes, quinoa flakes, concentrated pomegranate juice, tapioca starch, spice

Nutritional Info (per 1/10th crisp):
calories 220
fat 7 g
cholesterol 20 mg
sodium 85 mg
carbs 36 g
- fibre 3 g
- sugar 19 g
protein 3 g
vitamin A 10%
vitamin C 10%
calcium 2%
iron 8%

The gardens are going strong this year.  I am amazed at how much I already have this early in June, considering the slow start to spring.  Here's the first raised bed, with mesclun lettuce that I obviously need to thin by having a salad a day, fava beans (wheee!), leeks and purple sprouting brocolli.  The latter two I started from seed early in April and I'm pretty proud of, as they are still alive and kicking.




The other raised bed has rainbow chard, red & yellow beets, JO cranberry beans, and what used to be green bush beans, but were eaten by rabbits.  I'll have to replant something else there soon to take their place.  Perhaps I'll try the green bean seeds I dried from last year.

The back garden has my raspberry & black current bushes, four heirloom tomato plants, and some tri-colour pole beans that are just starting to sprout.  It's a bit wild back there, and it will need some weeding shortly!



The strip gardens near the house have herbs, purple okra, and some green & yellow zucchini.  I did plant cucumber but it doesn't seem to be appearing yet....oh and there are a couple of pots of dwarf tomatoes, and some lovely little chile pepper sprouts from my dried chiles from last year. 




I have a busy weekend planned, most of it away from home, so probably not much cooking, but I have Monday off to recuperate and figure out what we'll be eating for the rest of the week.  Perhaps I'll even make a meal plan, something I neglected to do last week.

~~~~~~~~~~

One year ago, I made some great savoury pancakes for breakfast.
Two years ago, I was...drumroll please...eating from my garden!
Three years ago, I made a delicious Oaxacan pizza.
Four years ago, I made my very first tagine.  Mmmmm, haven't had one of those in a while!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, your garden is amazing! We were so late to start this year, that nothing I have is doing as well as your veggies.

    ReplyDelete